Bitter gourd curry in Tamarind gravy / Karela Curry
Bitter gourd in Tamarind Curry is a very good recipe to try by anyone. The best part of this recipe is that the bitterness of the bitter gourd is completely cut off by the tamarind.
Servings servings servings
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- In a round bottom vessel, heat 3 teaspoon oil.
- Once oil is slightly hot, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 cup grated coconut and cook until golden brown
- Add 1 teaspoon red chilli powder ( you can add more if your prefer spicy curry)
- Add 2 teaspoon coriander powder and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. keep the coconut mix aside and let it cool.
- Once cooled, add the mix to a mixer jar, add 1/2 glass water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Take 2 teaspoon oil in a round bottom vessel and add the chopped bitter gourd.
- Cover the vessel and let it cook well.
- Once cooked take the bitter gourd off the flame and keep aside.
- In a round bottom vessel, add one teaspoon oil
- Once the oil is hot, add one chopped onion and cook until they have turned golden brown.
- Add 5 green chilli, a small hand full of curry leaves and 2 tomatoes cut into small pieces.
- Cook on low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Ensure to mash the tomatoes while they are cooking for better flavour.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add bitter gourd, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3/4th spoon salt and cook for 2 minutes while continuously mixing it.
- Add the coconut masala that was ground earlier.
- Add 1/2 cup tamarind water (Take one small lemon size tamarind and put in 1/2 a cup of water and mix well. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the flavour is completely mixed in the water)
- Add one cup of water, cover the vessel and let it cook for about 8 to 10 minutes on low flame.
- Bitter gourd in tamarind curry or Karela curry is ready to serve.
Bitter gourd curry or Karela curry is best served with rice or chapati.