Nethili Fish Curry / Anchovy Fish Curry / How to make Nethili fish Curry
Nethili or Anchovy fish are very small fish and can be consumed whole including the bone. They are easy to cook and delicious. Even if you are not a sea food lover, you will enjoy this fish.
Servings servings servings
Prep Time 45 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Passive Time 20 minutes
Nethili / Anchovy Marinate
- Take cleaned Nethili / Anchovy fish in a vessel and add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Salt
- Add 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder for medium spicy. If you like your fish very spicy add extra red chilli powder to suit your needs
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder and mix gently to ensure that the Nethili / Anchovy fish does not break.
- Keep aside for 10 to 20 minutes to marinate
Nethili / Anchovy Gravy
- For the Gravy preparation, take 4 teaspoons of oil in a round bottom vessel and let it heat
- Once the oil is slightly hot, add 2 medium sized onions and saute until they are golden brown
- Add 5 green chillies (add more if you like your fish to be very spicy), hand full of curry leaves, 1 table spoon ginger, 1 Garlic chopped and saute lightly
- Add 2 tomatoes and saute on low flame until the tomatoes are cooked
- Now add the Nethili / Anchovy Fish that was marinated into the mix
- Add Tamarind water (Take a small lemon sized tamarind and squeeze it in half a cup of water and let it settle for 10 minutes). Make sure to add only the water and not the remains of the tamarind,
- Add 1 1/2 cup water and cook on low flame for 8 to 10 minutes. Note: Do not mix the fish as they have a tendency to break.
- Nethili Fish Curry / Anchovy Fish Curry is ready to serve.
Nethili Fish curry is best served with hot rice.