- 1 cup thor Dal Green Gram Dal
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Palak leaves bunch of Spinach Chopped finely
- 1 Methi leaves Fenu Greek Leaves Chopped finely
- 3 tomatoes Large Cut into medium pieces.
- 1 teaspoon Sambar Powder
- 5 clove Garlic Crushed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 10 gram Tamarind 1 lemon sized
- 3 teaspoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Black Gram Dhall
- 2 Red Chillies
- 2 tablespoon Ghee Ghee can be used liberally. it enhances the flavor
- Add Thor Dal or Green Gram Dal in a pressure cooker.
- Add Turmeric Powder, chopped Onion and a teaspoon oil.
- Cook on a medium flame till the dal is cooked or upto 3 whistles.
- Take another medium vessel and add the palak and methi leaves.
- Add the tomatoes, Garlic, tamarind, sambar powder and salt.
- Cook on low fire without adding water for 10 minutes. The water required for cooking will be released by the greens
- Remove from flame and drain the excess water.
- Mash this cooked greens to a pulp consistency.
- Also mash the dal.
- Add the mashed dal to the mashed greens.
- Mix well and adjust salt.
- You can also add water if required (This Kuzhambu is usually made in a thick consistency).
- Place this curry on the flame and bring it to a boil.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add Mustard seeds and splutter.
- Add Black Gram Dhall and fry till brown.
- Add Red Chillies and fry till brown.
- Remove from flame and pour it over the Parippu keerai kuzhambu.
- Mix it well.
- Ready to serve with hot rice and ghee.
This curry can be made with a mixture of different greens as you would. you can add parippu keerai, Puli keerai (if you add puli keerai tamarind can be avoided). I also add thandu keerai.