- For Idli batterI use ready made batter available in the market. Here I will mention how to make batter the traditional way I use this batter for making idlis the first day and dosa the next day
- Raw rice – 2 cups washed and soaked for atleast 6-7 hrs
- Black gram dhall-2/3 cup washed and soaked for only 1 hour
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp washed and soaked.
- I soak it for the same time as the rice so that it grinds smoothly else will stick to the mixer grinder
- Grind the rice to a very smooth consistency.
- Transfer this to a big vessel allowing space for the batter to ferment and rise.
- Grind the black gram dhall and fenugreek seeds to a very smooth paste.
- Mix it with rice batter in the same vessel add required salt and mix well and cover it and leave it to ferment overnight.
Cooking the Idli
- Smear the idli moulds with oil.
- Pour the batter in the moulds and cook it over steam in a big vessel with lid which can hold the idli mould and cover it.
- Add water in the vessel and keep the idli moulds inside and cook for 5-7 minutes till the steam comes out.
- Remove from fire keep it aside for sometime.
- Sprinkle some water over the cooked idlis and remove from the mould carefully without breaking the idlis.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
Idli's are best served with Coconut Chutney and Sambhar