Kerala Fish Curry
Fish Curry is an indispensable part of Kerala cuisine. No meal is complete without the Fish curry. It can be made with or without coconut. Here I am giving you the version without coconut. Fish curry can be made using different methods. You can use any kind of fish like Mackarel (Ayila), Sardines (Mathi), Seer Fish (NeyMeen).
Servings People People
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 1 kilogram fish cut into medium pieces
- 6 nos kokum Also known as Kodam Puli. Soaked in hot water with salt.
- 6 nos Green Chillies Slit
- 15 gram Ginger Chopped into small pieces
- 3 teaspoon Red Chilly Powder
- 4 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Fenu Greek seeds
- 5 nos Shallots Also known as Sambar onion
- 15 nos Curry Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- Heat Oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and splutter.
- Add Fenugreek Seeds and fry till brown.
- Add green chillies and ginger.
- Add Shallots and curry Leaves and fry till the shallots turns reddish brown.
- In a bowl add red chilly powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric Powder.
- Add water and mix well till it becomes a little loose consistency.
- Add this to the seasoning.
- Cook till the color of the mixture becomes a deep red.
- Add the Kokum with the water.
- Allow it to boil.
- Add the fish pieces and cover with a lid.
- Cook till the fish becomes tender and cooks well.
- Adjust salt and add some more coconut oil on top.
- Remove from flame.
- Keep covered and cool.
You can use any kind of fish like Mackarel (Ayila), Sardines (Mathi), Seer Fish (NeyMeen). The curry will taste equally good. I used seer fish in this recipe.