- Heat oil in a heavy bottom vessel.
- Add mustard seeds and splutter.
- Add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and saute.
- Add tomato puree, tamarind extract, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt, jaggery.
- Mix it well and bring to a boil and reduce the flame.
- Keep stirring in between and continue cooking till oil oozes out and tomatoes are fully thick.
- It takes about 35-40 minutes to fully cook and for the tomatoes to become completely thick in consistency.
- Remove from flame and cool.
- Transfer to an air tight container and store in a refrigerator.
Tomato Thokku can be served with Idli, Dosa, Chapathi, Appams, Rotis, Plain Rice and Curd rice.